The Makalu Base Camp Trek is offered by Ammonite Adventure. The details in this page are for information gathering only to better help plan your trip. The information may change without notice due to weather conditions, political unrest or any number of other reasons.
- Trip Code: MAKALU22
- Duration: 22 Days
- Trip Level: Strenuous
- Max Altitude: 4,870m / 15,978 ft
- Starts at: Kathmandu
- Ends at: Kathmandu
- Best Season: March to May & September to November
- 1st Day Arrival in Kathmandu
- 2nd Day Sightseeing around Kathmandu and Pre-trip meeting
- 3rd Day Fly to Tumlingtar – Drive to Chichira
- 4th Day Chichira – Num
- 5th Day Num – Seduwa
- 6th Day Seduwa – Tashigaon
- 7th Day Tashigaon – Khongma Danda
- 8th Day Acclimatization Day
- 9th Day Khongma Danda – Mumbuk
- 10th Day Mumbuk – Yangri Kharka
- 11th Day Yangri Kharka – Langmale Kharka
- 12th Day Langmale Kharka – Makalu Base Camp
- 13th Day Explore Makalu Base Camp
- 14th Day Makalu Base Camp – Yangri Kharka
- 15th Day Yangri Kharka – Mumbuk
- 16th Day Mumbuk – Khongma Danda
- 17th Day Khongma Danda – Tashigaon
- 18th Day Tashigaon – Seduwa
- 19th Day Seduwa to Num
- 20th Day Num to Tumlingtar
- 21st Day Fly to Kathmandu
- 22nd Day Leisure Day in Kathmandu / Departure
Included In Package
- Half day guided tour of Kathmandu
- An experienced local guide including their food, accommodation and insurance.
- One porter per two trekkers including their food, accommodation and insurance.
- Flight to Tumlingtar.
- Flight back to Kathmandu.
- Twin share accommodation at tea house while on trek including all meals.
- Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) permit.
- Permits to enter National Parks
- Nepal Government Tourism Levy charge
Not Included In Package
- Flight tickets related to international travel.
- Food during your stay in Kathmandu (except breakfasts).
- Any kind of drinks (including bar tabs).
- Your travel insurance.
- Nepal visa fee and entry fee.
- Personal expenses.
- Tips to guide and porter.
Makalu Base Camp Trek is one of the most popular trekking destinations among solitary trekkers. Makalu Base Camp offers an exceptional opportunity to explore high-altitude terrains, snow-clad landscapes and ethnic Himalayan lifestyle.
The upper reaches of the trail comprise of polished granite cliffs capped by hanging glaciers, overflowing with waterfalls.
The 22 day Makalu Base Camp Trek is an ideal choice for avid trekkers and nature enthusiasts who seek solace and tranquility in pristine natural habitat and those who wish to avoid crowds.
Makalu Base Camp Trek Level
Makalu Base Camp Trek is considered Strenuous and a good level of fitness and trekking experience is strongly advised.
In a scale of 1 to 10, the Makalu Base Camp Trek is rated 8. You will spend a number of nights sleeping at altitudes above 13,000ft (4000m) so you must be willing and able to rough it as most creature comforts are back in Kathmandu.
The safety of the support team and yours on every trek is our highest concern. All treks, strenuous, Demanding and Easy are all treated and planned as an expedition.
The term Altitude Sickness is used often but there are intact 3 types of Altitude Sickness. The most common is actually Acute Mountain Sickness – or AMS for short. AMS becomes a real threat when ascending at altitudes of 9,000ft or more (roughly 3,000 m).
AMS comes into effect usually because a trekker or climber ascends too quickly. As the air become thinner, there is less oxygen available. Your lungs need time to adjust in order to carry much needed oxygen to the different parts of your body.
All Ammonite Adventure treks over 9,000ft (3,000 m) include rest days – known as acclimatization days. Read more about altitude sickness »