This Rara Lake Trek is offered by Ammonite Adventure. The details in this page are for information gathering only to better help plan your trip. The information may change without notice due to weather conditions, political unrest or any number of other reasons.
- Trip Code: RARA
- Duration: 14 Days
- Trip Level: Strenuous
- Max Altitude: 3,710m / 12,171 ft
- Starts at: Kathmandu
- Ends at: Kathmandu
- Best Season: March to December
- 1st Day Arrival in Kathmandu
- 2nd Day Sightseeing around Kathmandu and Pre-trip meeting
- 3rd Day Fly to Nepalgunj
- 4th Day Fly to Jumla
- 5th Day Jumla – Chere Chaur
- 6th Day Chere Chaur – Chalachaur
- 7th Day Chalachaur – Sinja
- 8th Day Sinja – Ghorosingha
- 9th Day Ghorosingha – Rara Lake (Chhapri)
- 10th Day Rara Lake – Pina
- 11th Day Pina – Bumra (Nauri Ghat)
- 12th Day Bumra – Jumla
- 13th Day Fly to Jumla – Nepalgunj & Kathmandu
- 14th Day Leisure Day in Kathmandu
Included In Package
- Half day guided tour of Kathmandu
- An experienced local guide including their food, accommodation and insurance.
- One porter per two trekkers including their food, accommodation and insurance.
- Nepalgung (Nepalgunj) Flight.
- Jumla Flight.
- Flight back to Kathmandu.
- Twin share accommodation at tea house while on trek including all meals.
- Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) permit.
- Permits to enter National Parks
- Nepal Government Tourism Levy charge
Not Included In Package
- Flight tickets related to international travel.
- Food during your stay in Kathmandu (except breakfasts).
- Any kind of drinks (including bar tabs).
- Your travel insurance.
- Nepal visa fee and entry fee.
- Personal expenses.
- Tips to guide and porter.
The region surrounding the Rara Lake is one of the most incredible and fascinating areas in all the Himalayan range.
If you are looking of wilderness and solitude travel, this trek is an ideal choice. The route is very much ‘off the beaten track’ and affords glimpses of cultures and scenery very different from the rest of Nepal.
The clear, high altitude of Rara Lake, which mirrors the snow capped Himalayas is ringed with blue pine, black juniper forest and Himalayan cypress Lake Rara is a popular serenity pilgrimage for Nepalese. In summer rainfall is low, and ideal for trekking.
In the winter there is often snow on the ridge surrounding the lake, in the autumn season trekkers are rewarded with a profusion of alpine flowers.
Rara Lake is five kilometers long and two kilometers wide and is the largest lake in Nepal. The National Park is one of the best places in Nepal to see wildlife: Musk Deer, Snow Leopards, ghorals, tahr, Himalayan Black Bear, and the rare Red Panda are all native.
Also, Rara Lake is a bird watcher’s delight, especially during November and April when many species of birds visit during their seasonal migration.
Rara Lake Trek Level
The Rara Lake Trek is considered Strenuous and a good level of fitness and trekking experience is strongly advised. In a scale of 1 to 10, the Rara Lake Trek is rated 8.
The safety of the support team and yours on every trek is our highest concern. All treks, strenuous, Demanding and Easy are all treated and planned as an expedition.
The term Altitude Sickness is used often but there are intact 3 types of Altitude Sickness. The most common is actually Acute Mountain Sickness – or AMS for short. AMS becomes a real threat when ascending at altitudes of 9,000ft or more (roughly 3,000 m).
AMS comes into effect usually because a trekker or climber ascends too quickly. As the air become thinner, there is less oxygen available. Your lungs need time to adjust in order to carry much needed oxygen to the different parts of your body.
All Ammonite Adventure treks over 9,000ft (3,000 m) include rest days – known as acclimatization days. Read more about altitude sickness »